Joshua Spodek, bestselling author of Leadership Step by Step, is an Adjunct Professor at NYU, leadership coach and workshop leader for Columbia Business School, columnist for Inc., and founder of SpodekAcademy.com. He lives in Greenwich Village and blogs daily at www.joshuaspodek.com.
This is a really inspiring conversation about how to become your best leader in life and in the process, as you align yourself with your values and create greater integrity, discover more purpose, meaning, and happiness.
I feel there is so much value to be had in this conversation. Embrace what how you want to live your life. Do what you dream of doing and take action, have experiences and your purpose, passions and happiness will evolve.
“Whatever you can do or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it!” Goethe
- How to know when to quit and when to proceed.
- Finding passion and reason behind what you do will give you momentum.
- How passion and purpose will evolve through experience and taking action. It’s important not to get caught up in thinking you need to know all the answers perfectly prior to getting started.
- Consistency and disciplines develop when you get clear on your values. You begin to act with integrity by aligning how you live your life with these values.
- Healthy habits and routines.
- Prolific action and commitment will allow you to succeed as long as you can avoid from falling victim to your fears, self-doubt, and conformity.
Quick round questions
Do you have any routines and rituals that you believe contribute to your success?
Self imposed daily challenging activity
What advice would you give your 20-year-old self?
Approach more girls!
What is the meaning of success?
Based on the emotions you create in the process.
What advice would you give someone that needing/wanting to make a change?
Know what you want to do and go do it. Take action!
Fresh fruits and vegetables
Favourite Leisure Activity
Leisure in what I do.
Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
Leadership Step by Step: Become the Person Others Follow by Joshua Spodek
“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, the providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings, and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way. Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it!” Goethe
Do we all have a why?
Yes. It’s a broad term but it relates to the underlying motivations in life?
What does living with passion and purpose mean?
Self-awareness. Know what makes you feel passion and then doing those things that create those emotional rewards.
Connect with Joshua
Further Reading and Resources